- Hair Care
- February 2, 2023
Many people will tell you that if you want to dye your hair, you absolutely must use bleach. Well, that is plain wrong. The most important concern in maintaining hair color and hair health is moisture.
Bleaching your hair can strip away the hair follicle of moisture. Which is a big reason women want to get a different hair color without using bleach. Today, we will talk about how to dye hair grey without bleach.
And whether that is possible. Of course it is possible, otherwise, we would not write this article. Just read along, and you will find out some natural methods for bleaching hair.
Why should you avoid bleach?
Before we can talk about how to dye hair grey without bleach, let’s talk why you need to avoid bleach. While it is a faster and some might argue easier to lighten hair, it also carries a lot of downsides.
Bleaching raise the outer cuticle, damages the bonds inside your natural hair color, and causes them to weaken and break. Here are some quick reasons why you should avoid bleach:
- Bleach is a strong chemical, much more than regular hair dye, be it semi permanent dye or temporary hair dye
- Bleach that is available for home treatment is usually of lower quality and off brand
- It is hard and challenging to get the right volume developer. The volume used is determined by the hair type, hair color, and more
- You have to be incredibly precise when applying bleach
Natural methods for bleaching hair
Using chamomile tea
When you think about chamomile tea, you think of something you drink to calm yourself down and reduce stress. Well, we’ve got news for you.
Chamomile tea also contains chemicals that can help you lighten your hair. You can actually get lighter tone by two to three shades using only chamomile tea.
Here is how to do it.
- Steep five bags of tea in two cups of hot water. Steel until the water cools
- Put tea in a container. Wash your hair, and then pour the tea over the damp hair. Another alternative is to soak your hair into tea
- Allow your hair to dry out naturally
- Repeat every few days until you reach the color you want
Honey for lighter hair
Honey is another ingredient from your kitchen you can use for how to dye hair grey without bleach. Because it is a natural moisturizer, honey will also prevent hair damage to the hair, and keep it healthy.
In addition, honey has a small lightening effect on hair. If you have a lighter shade of hair, you can go blonde just by using honey.
- In a mixing bowl, mix two cups of distilled vinegar, one cup of honey, a tablespoon of olive oil, and a tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- Wash your hair, and then apply the mixture on your damp hair. With a comb, spread the mix throughout your entire hair. If you want to get highlights, apply the mixture only to certain sections and separate your hair
- Put a shower cap over your hair, and leave the mixture to work its magic overnight. In the morning, rinse your hair
- The method requires a couple of repeated sessions. Remember, it takes time to dye your hair naturally and without the use of bleach
Silver hair dye
The good news is there are a lot of silver hair dyes on the market. Find one that is ammonia free, and vegan hair color.
When you apply a silver hair color without bleach, the color can last up to four weeks. It all depends on how often you wash your hair.
If you have blonde, light brown, or dark brown hair, a silver hair dye can help you achieve grey without using bleach.
SEE ALSO:How To Dye Your Hair At Home
Lemon juice is the best natural bleaching agent you can find. For those with light brown hair, you can achieve blonde with just lemon juice.
It is all thanks to the citric acid in lemon juice. It is a weak oxidizing agent that reduces melanin in your hair. So, how to use it?
Here is a quick guide.
- Squeeze a couple of lemons. How much lemon juice you need depends on the length of your hair, and how light you want to make it. As a general rule of thumb, you’ll need two cups of lemon juice for long hair
- Mix lemon juice with water in a ratio 2:1. That means two cups of lemon juice to one cup of water
- Place the mixture in a spray bottle. Shake well to mix it. Spray on your hair, and then use a comb to spread it throughout the hair. As with other tricks, if you want highlights, apply lemon juice only in certain sections
- Once your hair is sprayed, you need to go out in the sun and stay there for a few hours. Yes, it might sound strange sitting outside with lemon juice in your hair. But that is the price for not using a bleaching agent. If the weather is not sunny, you can use a blow dryer on the highest setting
- Repeat as often as necessary. However, make sure not to use on a daily basis. It will dry your hair. Remember to use a deep conditioning treatment to add and keep moisture on your hair
Natural wax hair color cream
These natural hair wax color creams do not require bleach. They also do not contain any additives. All you have to do is open the jar and apply the wax hair color on your hair.
They are available in different colors. Great for a quick semi permanent dye. Just remember, they are not permanent. Once you wash off, your hair color will be gone.
Hair lift dye
Hair lift dye is an alternative way to lighten your dyed hair that is already blonde or at least light brown.
If your natural hair color is darker, like black hair, you will have to use bleach before. But if it is light or blonde hair, you can use hair lift dye.
Remember, you must use a salon dye, as your hair needs as much lift as possible and a strong toning effect.
- Mix hair color and 40 volume developer in a bowl, using a 1:2 ratio
- Put on gloves and some old clothes to protect yourself from stains
- Part hair into four sections, and then put up three of them with clips
- Start applying the mixture on the loose section using a dye brush. With your hands, run the color throughout the hair
- Once you finish with all sections, leave the hair color on between 45 and 60 minutes. Check your hair color at different intervals. If you reach your desired hair color, wash the color out. Shampoo and condition afterward
- If the hair color turns out to be brassy, you need to apply a toner to correct it
How to keep your hair grey for longer
Now that you have achieved the grey hair color you want, the goal is to make it as long-lasting as possible. With that in mind, we give you a couple of tips that can help you keep your hair grey for a longer period. These tips will also ensure healthy hair.
- When you dye your hair, you need a good toner and color refresh shampoo. Try one that is great for neutralizing the color, and will keep your grey for as long as possible
- Avoid hair products that contain sulfates. If you didn’t know, sulfates are the biggest cause of color stripping as they contain salt and strip away moisture
- Apply products that strengthen your hair fiber and support bond stability
- Your at-home care for colored hair is vital for ensuring long-lasting color. Your hair craves moisture, and we recommend using a spray for anti-breakage
- When you have colored hair, avoid damage from heat and styling tools by lowering the temperature. Use the optimum temperature which is 180 degrees. This might take longer for you to get ready, but your hair will be healthy
Written by Meghan Hale, a content writer at Plant Sumo and editing machine. You’ll find me yelling at my dog to stop barking, whether it be at the neighbours or on a long afternoon walk
Share this post
You Might Also Like: